Just some random thoughts/opinion about the Blue Jackets after the game last night vs. Minnesota:
- Has Matt Calvert’s magic finally run out? In 12 games played, he has registered 3 assists, and only 4 total shots on goal. Last night, he was practically invisible on the ice, zeros all across the board, 10 PIM’s and a measly 5:40 spent on the ice.
- Is Jared Boll expendable? in 4:44 on the ice, he accomplished short of nothing other than 1 shot, 1 block, and 10 PIMs. With Derek Dorsett on the team (taking care of the big hits and fighting), you have to wonder if it is worth it having both on the same team.
- Congrats to Antoine Vermette, you scored a goal, and it only took you 17 games to do it! While it was a show of hard work and never giving up on the play, it’s a shame we haven’t seen more of this out of him this year, and hopefully we do!
- Nikita Nikitin and Mark Letestu, Scott Howson looks brilliant on these two roster additions. Nikitin has been virtually flawless on the ice, providing hard work, and actual defense. Letestu hasn’t been completely flawless, but he’s adding a big amount of jump to his line with Ryan Johansen and Vinny Prospal.
-Steve Mason did a great job tonight, you cannot hang the loss entirely on his head. The 1st goal against, Fedor Tyutin fell, losing his man and blocking the way for anyone to cover Matt Cullen who scored an easy backhander. The 2nd goal, Grant Clitsome didn’t follow his man behind the net, which led to the puck coming out front, the real failure on the play came at the hands of RJ Umberger, who failed to do anything to stop Nick Johnson from roofing it over Mason. The 3rd goal is the only one I would fault Mason on, he pretty much just kind of, missed the puck.
– RJ Umberger, Rick Nash, and Jeff Carter. 11 shots, 6 of them were Rick Nash’s, this is completely unacceptable of the 1st line. Jeff Carter was invisible, seeming to kind of lull around the ice, no real effort given on the ice. RJ Umberger must be having a curse from his new contract, he has went completely MIA since signing it. Rick Nash had a few chances, but nothing is working, the captain ahd a little more hustle in his skates tonight, but his linemates didn’t. And while it was good to see some hustle out of the captain, that is what we need to see night in and night out, the captain who leads by example, needs to do so, this season, he hasn’t done it. In my opinion Prospal needs to go back on the first line, Umberger is not cutting it at all.